Utility & Housing Help

Help! I can’t pay my utility bills (heat-water-electric) or housing (rent – mortgage).

Where can I find help?

1. Your Family and Friends

Ask your parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and grandparents to help you. They know your needs best. Also, friends, co-workers, and neighbors could be great resources.

2. Brightpoint

Brightpoint is the second line of help for Steuben County residents. Bring proof of income and your utility/housing bills. Brightpoint is open Tuesday through Thursday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Call 665-1160 for information or to make an appointment. They are located at 1208 S Wayne Street in Angola. After family, you must make Brightpoint your first source of help for utility bills in Steuben County.

3. Your Township Trustee
Your Township Trustee should be your next source of help. Please do not call your Trustee until you have been in touch with

Brightpoint. You will need to know what township you live in so you know who to contact. Township Trustees (from the Steuben County website are listed on this page with their contact information.

4. Society of Saint Vincent de Paul
(260) 667-3269  A group of men and women offering person-to-person service to individuals in need. 
Leave a message. Messages are reviewed each night by a committee.
5. Salvation Army – Elkhart
(574) 970-0088 They help in Steuben County.
6. Catholic Charities  
(260) 422-5625  Catholic Charities has been providing a broad spectrum of vital, life-changing services to the people of northern Indiana since 1922 and serve thousands of people every year.
7.  Call 211
211 gives you access to hundreds of community services for free. Sponsored by the United Way.
8. Angola United Methodist Church
(260) 665-3914  AUMC helps with utilities and food.
9. Project Help of Steuben County
Project Help, the community food and clothing pantry, is located at 711 E Harcourt Rd in Angola. They should be your next stop for help and information. Their phone number is 665-9697. Their office hours are Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. When you meet with them, have with you your utility and housing bills, proof of income, and the church you attend.
10. Your Church
After you have spoken with these local resources, if you still need help, call your church family. Be sure you have your bills with you when you go see them.